PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2018, 15:04
adfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMI

Would be a shame to see them pull out, until recently the loads seemed fairly good, and inline with the average for the airline. It is a shame to see that the slight reversal we began to see a couple of years ago where other airlines were starting to break into Flybe's dominant position has all but disappeared.

Considering the positives first, Aer Lingus seem to be doing well on the Cork route, with it being better served now now I can ever recall in the past by Aer Arran (last time it was only a seasonal operation?). Likewise KLM have stuck around so for now it seems safe to assume the route meets their expectations. Finally. EZY seem to be off to a reasonable start, but I guess it is too early to properly judge this one for the time being.

On the leisure front Volotea have dropped their scheduled operation, in spite of a considerable reduction of Flybe PMI flights this year.

Leaving aside VLM (was a niche operation at best) and Powdair (considerable airline issues) the 2nd and 3rd busiest carriers (by flights) are now both Flybe franchises (Blue Islands and Eastern), and now BMI are also throwing in the towel! Considering it was on paper a well suited route (small aircraft, twice daily frequency, numerous onward connections on BMI and Lufthansa) could it be the reliability issues and cancellations that caused this, or was it a case of the route under performing and being the first to go any time operational issues came about?

As an extra point I remain intrigued as to whose aircraft Lolo Flights are going to use next year if Flybe are planning on getting rid of the E195's by then...