PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows 10 "updates" ......
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2018, 07:37
HowardB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FullOppositeRudder
I'm afraid that hasn't been my experience. Mr brief flirtations with the penguin have pretty well all been cursed with recurring updates. Sometimes the "updates" quarrel with the current kernel version. Sometimes the updates required a different driver than the one in use - wireless cards are usually singled out - not to mention bluetooth. Eventually after some months one is advised that this version of Linux is no longer supported and one needs to update to the latest version, only to discover that it's a complete rehash of the interface and nothing one used previously can be found.

I liked the idea of Linux and I tried. I really tried, but in the end it became an endless source of frustration. I won't expand upon the frequent times one has to resort to the command line and it's totally foreign, nay alien language.

Mind you, I'll admit to qualifying as a grumpy old sod these days, and over the past 35 years or so, I've had to wrestle with quite a few different operating systems starting with TRS-80 cassette (CLOAD - any remember what that was like?).

But Linux beat me. These days I sit here as a total slave to whatever Micro$oft throws at me. Most of the time it works. Even Windows 10. (I can hardly believe I wrote that)

FOR
I suggest you try Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon. The interface is quite similar to Win 7 & Office 2007-13 for day to day use & you can load and test drive it from a CD or USB memory stick (the better option). However you may have to tweak your BIOS to allow booting from a CD or USB memory.

It updates cleanly between releases with no major changes to the interface & I have not experienced the problems you are having with kernels & drivers, however generally if there is an issue googling it will find a solution.

Win 10 was installed on one of my laptops and after repeated fights to get it to load as part of the free upgrade from 8.1 I was successful, but since then it hasn't been used. However I also have a legal copy of Win 7 installed as a virtual machine in Linux Mint to allow me to use the few essential programs & communicate with hardware that insist on Windows (e.g. Garmin Base Camp).