PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2018, 18:48
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Betablockeruk
This isn't a grumble, just puzzled.

In the midst of snowmagedon MAN took over 20 BHX & LCY diversions; yesterday MAN took 10 diversions from a fog bound LBA.

This morning LBA has turned away 6 (from arrival boards) and nothing came to MAN. Even the morning DUB-LBA Stobart went to BHX - this flight diverts to MAN that many times that it should be on our schedule just in case!

So, what's the policy? Or is MAN just having a well earned breather?
I fail to see why you get so exercised by all this every time when you think diversions should come to MAN and they don't.

Where an airline chooses to divert to is dependent on a huge number of factors and every occasion is unique. If you have ever sat in an airline or airport operations centre, you will know that there are so many things to consider. Been there and done that.

Yesterday quite a few LBA diversions, particularly Jet2, ended up elsewhere; DSA, LPL and EMA to name but three. What would have happened if they all had come to MAN and then something had closed the airport? Just one of the factors you think about - there are of course loads more.

At this late hour, this morning's LBA arrivals have disappeared off their boards but from FR24, I can see a couple of flights on FR24 that went to HUY and DSA. You should also be asking why the EI flight did not go to one of these or even LPL.

In the event, I believe MAN did a sterling job in the last week of not only keeping their own operations going in dreadful conditions, but accepting diversions too with all the additional work load that causes. But at some stage you have to shut up shop for diversions to ensure that you can safely handle your own traffic which must take priority - apart from emergencies of course.

Add to this the complications caused by easterly operations and taxiway closures and it appears, says he from the comfort of his armchair, that it was a good all round team effort.