PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 5th Mar 2018, 14:47
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nutloose,

I'm really sorry, but I have to refer you back to my post 463 on this thread.

The RAFAT's arrangements for servicing ejection seats was, in my honest view, a shambles. No proper training, lack of experience, documented malpractices, all found by the SI. Add on to that a culture of abbreviated timescales, 'bespoke' routines, and an RTI that, again in my own view, should never have been issued, all combined to put this pilot in danger's way.

The over tightening of the shackle (and since when has cutting new threads into a bolt been 'accepted engineering practice'?) was just another link in the accident chain. Despite what I've said, I would not have harshly criticised the man who turned the spanner that day. I'd have started with his supervising NCOs, moved up the chain to the EngOs, asked the SEngO why his unit was being so cavalier with ejection seats, then asked the OC Eng what his safety and QA cell was doing to make sure that ejection seats (which are hazardous by their very nature) were being properly serviced.

And by the way, I wouldn't have asked very nicely.

The tragedy here is that, as Tuc as pointed out so many times, the main problem here wasn't lack of regs, or incomplete instructions. The main problem was a comprehensive failure to apply well known and extant regulations to control, manage and implement safe servicing of an ejection seat. And that failure took place within DE&S and the RAF.

Could the shackle design have been improved? Possibly. Were there shortcomings in the documentation? Probably. But if you give poorly trained, inexperienced personnel the responsibility for frequently disassembling and reassembling a safety critical item on an ejection seat, they you are creating a far bigger risk that MB ever did.

Best regards as ever to all those working so hard to keep our people safe,

Engines