PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geez Qantas that was quick!
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2018, 06:29
V-Jet

Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts
You are wrong because you assume the only cost associated with operating an aircraft is how much it costs to fill it up with Jet A1.

Ask yourself why you do not drive a Tesla Model S even though it costs far less in energy to drive it from A to B than the fossil-fuel powered motor vehicle you currently own.
No, I think you missed my point. OPPORTUNITY COST was the major thrust of my argument. And I wasn't referring to cost based on gassing the fleet up. I was referring to the EXTRA cost that Qantas spends on carrying pax vis a vis their competitors. IE: An A380 burns 13,000kgs of fuel an hour, a 787 burns 4500kgs.

As for Tesla.... I suppose 'you' (as in third person - not directing this at you personally, it's such a common misunderstanding I hesitate to direct it at one person) think PV cells on roofs are 'efficient'.

I admire what Musk is 'trying' to do, but PV cells, and even worse - their loathsome batteries are woefully inefficient. Nor are they clean. They are VERY clean if you happen to live in Australia, US or Europe and you don't consider either the transport costs, environmental ills caused by their manufacture (and I've been to a factory in Shenzen - it's nothing short of disgusting what pours unregulated into the SCS for the benefit of 'clean' Western nations). Then there are the batteries. Solar/Tesla Batteries basically have a (short) half life. Their manufacture on an ecological cost is off the charts. Their disposal is currently even worse.

Iv'e had this discussion with Qf's Andrew David and at this point I stopped getting responses. In short it is a JOKE.

I applaud people 'trying' to gain efficiency, but if you really espouse 'efficiency' (in a domestic situation) you go for a Model T Ford or a VW Beetle and the most efficient local power source you can. Ideally, nuclear.

Where I see MAJOR economic costs is in burning fossil fuels that have a finite supply for no reason. And THAT is where I put the blame firmly on QF. Whether or not you believe in 'Global Warming' is to my mind completely irrelevant. We 'SHOULD' be living cleaner, because we can.

In the case of running an airline is an absolute financial necessity. For the managers of QF that is completely unnecessary and a waste of resources while you can 'kick the can down the road' and put the cash in your own pocket.

Even then, I'd sort of excuse that myopic attitude IF they didn't ram down my throat every week their impeccable (but to anyone with even a 1st grade education - absolute and complete hogwash) 'Green' credentials. It's yet another complete lie from the Ministry of Truth.