PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind approaches
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2003, 03:00
Randy_g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year Transport Canada's helicopter safety magazine published a few tips. Landing downwind was one of them. With the editor's permission (you'll grant me that won't you CTD ?? )I'll quote it here.

When Downwind is the Only Way

From our first flights in a helicopter, it is drilled into our heads that we should approach helipads into wind. So what do you do, when the only way into a pad is downwind? Anyone who has a little experience knows there are times when approaching and even landing downwind is the only safe option. A very experienced pilot demonstrated the following when I was still very new to Bell medium helicopters, and I’ve used it ever since.

Start off with a fairly normal approach, following the safest path in. It’s important to keep your airspeed and your rate of descent under control while doing this approach. As you get closer to the ground, and to your spot, slow your rate of descent and airspeed. At approximately 50-100 ft back, and 20-30 ft above ground level (AGL) as you slow the helicopter below translation, ensure that you have stopped all downward movement of the aircraft. This will help prevent you from entering vortex ring state. You should now be at a walking pace and less than a rotor diameter from your spot. Watch the ground, as you want to see when your downwash passes you. Once the downwash has passed, you can then resume your descent and land at your spot.

Just remember, that when landing downwind, that there are many points to remember and things to watch for:

You must be certain that you have Hover Out of Ground Effect (HOGE) power.

Make sure you minimize your rate of descent as your airspeed decreases.

You may run out of aft cyclic with a forward center of gravity (CG) and as you reach the helicopter’s cross/tailwind limits

Pay careful attention to aircraft limitations.

The tail will be lower to the ground, so be careful of any stumps, bushes, etc.

Be aware that the aircraft will want to weathercock, and will not be as stable in yaw

As a result pilot workload will be higher when performing a downwind landing.

Landing downwind can be safely done, as long as you have planned it out in advance.
Cheers