PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 4th Mar 2018, 19:43
mrcsn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second time lucky? Going modular...

I was enrolled into the CTC Wings program back in 2012 but had to leave as the reality of paying back the hefty loan was just not going to work with the climate at the time. I was very anxious about this, couldn’t focus and landed up failing most of my first batch of ATPLs. I never stayed for the second batch (obviously).

I subsequently landed up in a decent-paying job (thanks to my degree) and have stayed with the business ever since, climbing the ranks and have now been thinking about re-exploring my flying career.

Knowing what I went through with the financial anxiety, I have been thinking and researching about the possibility of going Modular and paying-as-I go (per licence stage). Like this, I would hopefully end the training and be both debt-free and still in employment (even if it lands up being slightly longer to get the fATPL).

I will be 34 this year, currently considering a short-haul career (hopefully A319/20/21).

So my questions are (and please answer any that you can, needn’t be all):
  1. Do bigger European airlines still consider pilots who went the modular route?
  2. Will airlines still consider me, even if I did 'fail' half of my ATPLs at first attempt all those years ago?
  3. Are the theoretical elements possible through distance learning (e.g. ground school)?
  4. Is modular the way to go in my situation? Any other route that can be done ‘part-time'?
  5. What schools are recommended within easy reach of London (especially for the PPL)? I’m willing to travel up to 2 hours by train - no problem - so long as the school is reputable and my qualifications respected as I continue doing the licences/courses.
  6. Any other input is much appreciated
Thanks a lot guys