PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2018, 06:06
David Billings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MJA chaser....

Yes, that is the opinion I had back in 2009 from an experienced MAG Operator on these boards.

Of late others say a different opinion but that opinion also is contingent on the device being near to the source and when consideration of the tree height is taken, the opinion diminishes somewhat. Where trees have been removed, obviously there are gaps and smaller secondary growth, but lone trees left there as not commercially valuable or hard to get at pose an aviation hazard for the unwary drone or helicopter.

Technical advances in Magnetometers may prove otherwise.

This reasoning is why I went for LiDAR, not to pick out the aircraft for that is buried, but to give me a ground surface picture I could pore over to see where the billdozer driver went all over that hill and to assess for "any change" in the natural flow of the land on the hill.

Even today I found something I did not know but there again, it was something that nagged at me. There is the old adage of "You learn something every day" and I am a firm believer in that . Today, I found a small valley on the hill that I did not know existed, yet, there it is, if you use all the resources you can muster, those resources as I mentioned in my earlier post today, so I say, "all is not lost". I just need the funding.

Last edited by David Billings; 4th Mar 2018 at 06:40.