PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - supersonic flight
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2003, 01:30
jungly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh please no! Please tell me Loran & Omega etc are not in JAR? What about morse?

High Speed Flight is all very good stuff though. I knowledge of Mcrit (how, when and probably most importantly where shockwaves occurs first), all moving tailplanes (why & what to do if they fail to trim), supercritical wings and coffin corner etc are, in my opinion, v useful background subjects.
NB: Its very hard to explain why delaying Mcrit is important without explaining what it is and how it is formed.

Unfortunately the best understanding is to get in a subsonic military jet trainer (JP etc) and feel it, watch the porposing etc, and recover.

I agree with RS's sentiments though..... its not the academics that are important its the understanding and application. Sometimes knowing what not to learn is the best study you can do. eg: If they're teaching why above M2 that short, stubby square wings (Starfighter) become the most efficient....then they are missing the point.

Of course if youre being sentimental about Concordes imminent departure..........I concur entirely! Speaking of which,..... when exactly is the last harrah?