PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIPS / API CLAIM DENIED
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 05:41
Switchboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Thunderbird. Just back from a layover. Thanks for your questions.

1. Do you mean the API Trust in Guernsey? There is a legal proceeding involving the Trust (which makes the decisions for claims benefits) but you'd have to ask them directly. I can provide you with their contact info, if you'd like.

2. & 3. You will have to ask the Trust. We, the consultants, are not involved. It's just the cost of doing business. The fund is used for everything needed to support our members. We have money coming in and money going out. It's a non-profit, mutual benefit fund.

4. I don't understand what you're asking with this question. Please rephrase it and I'll be happy to try and answer it.

5. Which document are you referring to? Please present the document and I'll be happy to try and answer those questions.

6. I have put myself out here on this forum, as who I am, to help answer questions about API, not to engage in other antics. I don't know who anyone is on this forum, I would have no way of knowing. And I don't care. Please keep it professional and respectful when you refer to any of the people I work with or our members, or I won't answer your questions.

7. I'll explain how this works in a way we can all relate. Harvey Watt is Medlink (or now it's Ground Medical Support). The Trust is the Captain. Harvey Watt (Medlink) gathers medical facts and information sent to them by the member (the passenger). They then come up with a recommendation to the Trust (The Captain). We, the API consultants, are the FO, following along (or we are SATCOM, helping facilitate communications between the member, Harvey Watt and the Trust). But, to be clear, it's the Trust's (like the Captain's) decision by law based on legal guidelines and it's their responsibility to make the correct decision (just like us Captain's). All we can do (us "FOs", or Harvey Watt & Co.) is provide the best input we can, but we do not make the final decision. And we wouldn't want to. It's not our area of expertise, it's the Trust's. That's why the system has been set up the way it has.

8. There is an appeals process. In regards to the pilots "...who've so many have recently had their claims denied...". Which pilots are you referring to? If you reference the "Claims" section on our website, you'll see that since inception, 30 claims have been approved (including 2 in the past month) and only 5 denied in the 11-year history of the plan. 25 of those claims are still active and the members are receiving monthly benefits and 5 claims have expired with the member reaching the term of the benefit. There was one claim denied in 2016 and one in 2017.

9. I only know my qualifications, not everyone else's. We hire professionals with professional credentials, such as Harvey Watt & Co. for expert medical advice, Hamdan Al Harmi & Associates as our attorneys, Mondial and Takaud for investment guidance, and Sovereign Trust to make final independent, legally regulated decisions on claims. We're just pilots, which is why we hire experts in these fields.

10. There is 1 legal proceeding involving the Trust from 1 former member whose claim was denied due to a pre-existing condition. See answers 1, 2, and 3.