PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2003, 00:14
B Sousa
Gatvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to be a question that is continually bantered around. I guess the answer is what you, as an individual, make of the job. Some are Executive VIP Pilots in suits and never get mud on the pedals as they go from Ritz to Ritz. Others are living in the bush slinging their own fuel from spot to spot in crap weather. as "Helicopter Pilots" the jobs hold a variety of "status" positions from the high end to the low.
I have been fortunate in that I never had to depend on this work for a career, so any work I do is extra change. Many I know have to work until death or loss of medical as they have no retirement plans or fund and pay is so low they live from check to check in someone elses Mobile Home. I sympathize but as most say "they love to fly" so its their choice. Another funny thing for tour pilots is people think its demeaning to receive tips. The cab drivers get tips, the waitress gets tips, so why not the helicopter pilot?? I certainly thought it was strange on my first charter. The guy handed me a twenty like ....here boy, thanks.....I almost gave it back. I guess its like being a whore, it gets easier after the first one.....
Strange group, us Helicopter Pilots......I wouldnt trade it either...