PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brexit pushing UK out of EASA
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 14:43
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We will also want to explore with the EU, the terms on which the UK could remain part of EU agencies such as those that are critical for the chemicals, medicines and aerospace industries: the European Medicines Agency, the European Chemicals Agency, and the European Aviation Safety Agency.

We would, of course, accept that this would mean abiding by the rules of those agencies and making an appropriate financial contribution.

I want to explain what I believe the benefits of this approach could be, both for us and the EU.

First, associate membership of these agencies is the only way to meet our objective of ensuring that these products only need to undergo one series of approvals, in one country.

Second, these agencies have a critical role in setting and enforcing relevant rules. And if we were able to negotiate associate membership we would be able to ensure that we could continue to provide our technical expertise.

Third, associate membership could permit UK firms to resolve certain challenges related to the agencies through UK courts rather than the ECJ.

For example, in the case of Switzerland, associate membership of the European Aviation Safety Agency means that airworthiness certifications are granted by its own aviation authority, and disputes are resolved through its courts. Without its membership, Swiss airlines would need to gain their certifications through another member state or through the Agency, and any dispute would need to be resolved through the ECJ.
Teresa May, 2 March My Bold.

There is zero surprise here (or there shouldn't be!) This approach was settled from day 1, but nevertheless worth quoting as it is now official government brexit policy.

That's a long way from saying it's going to happen as we all know. There are two challenges to everything she said today:

Her rickety, ramshackle coalition (and I include in that a bunch of hacked off tory eurosceptic hardliners). They can bring her and her plan down, if they have the stones.

And of course the structural bureaucracy of the EU negotiating players.

All to play for I'd say.

Footnote

tweet from the CBI:

"Excellent news if UK can stay in key agencies like EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) - glad PM has focused on them."

And for me this is the real interest...lots of people zoning in on aviation. Why? Because when the rhetoric of brexit finally becomes the reality of brexit, it happens here first.

I'm hogging the thread...I'll lurk for a bit and hope somebody else brings something interesting.

Last edited by The Old Fat One; 2nd Mar 2018 at 19:20.