PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin G5 certified
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 14:27
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alex90
Do you have venturi driven suction? I am pretty sure that most of the planes I fly (that have suction at all that is...) have engine driven suction, so that probably wouldn't have helped. The batteries they make for these backup systems are starting to get really good too - I've definitely seen 4 hours quoted on a few of these, including the G5 - and that's when your main battery has depleted, so I would like to hope that this would be enough to get down safely and fix whatever needs fixing.
No, most aircraft have engine driven suction pumps - as long as the engine is running all is fine and not dependent on elec-trickery. These batteries are most probably the once coming in that famous boxes saying "not allowed to be transported in aircraft" ... same as the replacements for ELT ... I am quite happy with that, somehow.
Originally Posted by alex90
Entirely agree, but if you're also thinking of installing a nice GTN750 to replace your non waas G430 or old Kings GPS the install cost will be reduced too, you may as well invest in your plane properly... I do think that you'll likely lose little in terms of resale value [although you'd need the cash to burn in the first place of course ;-) ]. I didn't mind the Aspen too much, I just wasn't wowed by it, and thought it wasn't worth the money. I would much rather get 2x G5 and keep the remaining 5k for the AVGAS fund :-)
If you have a non-WAAS 430 the best route may be a 440 ;-).