PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin G5 certified
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 13:30
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChickenHouse
I thought on suction systems out some years ago, but when I was exactly into final consideration I had to fly a Diesel C172 and encountered an engine failure due to power gone. My feeling = never allow power to be vital for flying. I abandoned the idea of taking the suction system off the plane.
Do you have venturi driven suction? I am pretty sure that most of the planes I fly (that have suction at all that is...) have engine driven suction, so that probably wouldn't have helped. The batteries they make for these backup systems are starting to get really good too - I've definitely seen 4 hours quoted on a few of these, including the G5 - and that's when your main battery has depleted, so I would like to hope that this would be enough to get down safely and fix whatever needs fixing.

But I definitely do get what you're saying about "Leisure Suit Larry"! Although I too enjoyed flying the G1000, it isn't the same.

Originally Posted by Sam Rutherford
Aspen/G500 argument, you need to compare the installed price, not the purchase price.
Entirely agree, but if you're also thinking of installing a nice GTN750 to replace your non waas G430 or old Kings GPS the install cost will be reduced too, you may as well invest in your plane properly... I do think that you'll likely lose little in terms of resale value [although you'd need the cash to burn in the first place of course ;-) ]. I didn't mind the Aspen too much, I just wasn't wowed by it, and thought it wasn't worth the money. I would much rather get 2x G5 and keep the remaining 5k for the AVGAS fund :-)