PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin G5 certified
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 09:39
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alex90
Haha - very true! But for most of us flying 1970s (or earlier) aeroplanes, whose avionics look mostly unchanged since then, are starting to become *ermmm* "occasionally inaccurate".

The question of replacing instruments then becomes a reality and making sure to fit the best you can buy for your money makes the G5 a very interesting proposition... Although steam gauges still hold dear to my heart, losing the suction system altogether is something I would definitely consider.

I'm not a fan of the Aspen 1000, I've seen it mentioned up there a few times, I find it a bit buggy, seen it completely fail on a blocked pitot tube (including AI / HSI ) and definitely not worth the price-tag in my opinion, I'd spend the 2 or 3k more and get the G500 (if they still make them / someone has some in stock). They were fantastic to fly with, although not quite the G1000....
I agree and most probably I have to go G5 or similar if my AI finally gives up, but this does not mean I like it.

Flying behind G1000 can be done and I have a lot of hours there, but it always felt a bit Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards - even though the Nxi does a big step to the remake version ...

I thought on suction systems out some years ago, but when I was exactly into final consideration I had to fly a Diesel C172 and encountered an engine failure due to power gone. My feeling = never allow power to be vital for flying. I abandoned the idea of taking the suction system off the plane.