PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 1st Mar 2018, 20:16
EAP86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rigga
Finally, the EU Mil Airworthiness Regs (EMARs) also cover technician training so there may be some input there too.
Rigga, forgive me for correcting this but in today's environment, I think we have to be careful about the use of the term "EU". The EMARs are properly termed the "European Military Airworthiness Requirements". While the creation of the EMARs was coordinated by the EDA, an agency of the EU, they did so at the request of the 27 pMS (participating Member States) involved - Denmark chose not to participate. At the outset it was recognised that the EMARs could not be regarded as Regulations as neither the EU nor EC had any authority to mandate or enforce them. Making them into proper Regulations could only be achieved by the relevant States incorporating their content into their own regulatory arrangements. Rather than following the Civil regs slavishly, the EMARs contained the basic processes thus allowing the individual States to tailor them as necessary for their national environment.

Its worth noting that the UK took a very strong part in the process of developing the EMARs. The various tasks were separated into four multi-State Task Forces, two of which were chaired by UK MAA staff, the other two being chaired by Italy and France. I think its no secret that the MAA used the EMARs to develop new regulatory arrangements rather than developing UK only approaches. For example, refresh of the DAOS regs was delayed until EMAR 21 was completed. EMAR 66 was also regarded that way but was proving tricky to implement - I've lost touch so it might be there now.

If anyone is interested, the MAWA website can be found here: https://www.eda.europa.eu/experts/airworthiness

EAP