PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2018, 09:12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly on LH, under current rules, Right to Request part timers can never do Reserve, even if they want to! Under current rules Aspirational part time workers will hardly ever do Reserve either. Both the of these situations are due to the fact that you need a 28 day ‘window’ of availability on your line of work to fit a Reserve block in. RTR never have such a window. With leave and DFW, Aspirational bidders hardly ever have ‘availability’ either.

Combined with the unjustifiable system of Reserve Banding. On LH in particular, with the increasing uptake of PTWK, it can’t be long before we see every junior full time worker doing Reserve pretty much whenever they have a 28 day window? (Though I’ve a vague recollection you can’t be assigned Reserve in consecutive months??)

On HSB, you have to reach the crew car park in 2 hours, so if you live close to Heathrow, it might suit you? If you’re planning to commute, it certainly won’t. You will also lose control of any earned allowances. You may be busy. You may not work at all.

On the up side, it generally, though not always, starts with a 7 day block off.

Enjoy!

Oh, and of course, a few have to be on Reserve over Xmas and New Year! Much less popular even than being assigned a trip. At least with a trip, six weeks out, you can make family plans etc! I did notice on my fleet, there were a surprisingly high number of pilots who felt too ill to work Xmas Day!

Which is a bit of a shame!

Last edited by 4468; 1st Mar 2018 at 09:29.