PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of climb/rate of climb
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 21:04
GlenQuagmire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAverage
Whether you agree or not is insignificant. It is a requirement to teach it and to test it. You'll need to convince the CAA of your opinion in order to remove the requirement.
Well I am more than happy to take it up with them and I will let you chaps know the result. Incidentally, when have you ever selected a Vx or a Vy climb other than to demonstrate them? What departure have you ever undertaken which required their use? (I say you, its the royal you and open to the group, obviously). When you demo it do you discuss with the student when you would use it? Because I would venture to suggest that it would be highly irresponsible to suggest that using a Vx climb in order to clear obstacles is a good idea. I would think that if a departure is that limiting you should get out of the plane and do something else for the afternoon..

Also, do you actively calculate the effect of wind on the gradient and if not, whats the point of messing about with flying such a limiting departure anyway? My co-pilot looked at me like I was from mars when I showed him my calculations for a departure a few weeks ago. I explained that although APG said we could make the SID gradient we actually couldnt because we were taking off with a tailwind and the tailwind increased with height which would flatten our gradient. He asked why I had done that when there is no requirement. The gradient is predicated on missing the mountains..