PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perf Group A history
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 15:26
kenparry

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Following the link given by IGh (post #37) to the US DOT archives, some reading during a snowy afternoon has led me to:

CAR 4 dated May 31, 1938: no mention of V speeds;

CAR 4 dated August 15, 1942: para 04.75320-T defines V1 and V2. This para did not exist in the 1938 document. The "-T" means the requirement applies to Transport Category airplanes. No mention of VR - interesting, as nosegear transports were around by then. (DC-4E 1938, C-54 Feb 1942, military though intended for airline use). I suspect that propliners did not need much of a "rotate" - just a gentle nose-up to leave the ground.

Still no mention of VR in CAR-PART4b of 1953. Perhaps VR came in with the jets?

That 1942 document also includes the first (that I have found) requirements for engine-out continued take-off from V1.

So, I think we can conclude that the beginnings of the modern performance certification date from the US DOT rules of 1942. Interesting - rather earlier than I had thought.

Also interesting is how long developments continued - e.g. aterpster's reference above to lateral clearance of obstacles. Is change still going on to these regs?

Last edited by kenparry; 28th Feb 2018 at 17:38. Reason: last 2 sentences added