PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Viscount pilots, cabin crew and engineers.
Old 28th Feb 2018, 13:58
Four Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In memory land, my first Viscount flight was KLM to Schipol in 1959, although actually we had a weather diversion to Frankfurt and were bussed to Schipol, where the bus drove airside to drop us off at the gate so we could enter the country as air pax!
Then I flew from Ghana a number of times on Ghana Airways 700s, including once with my good friend Peter Dorkenoo in the left hand seat. But the most memorable time was landing at Bathurst (now Banjul) with a sudden almighty din from the gear. It was only when I walked down the steps I realised the runway was still wartime PSP.
Later I flew on Aden Airways 700s. One early memorable time I was on the jump seat on a flight Aden-Jeddah (not staff, just the advantage in those days of working for Shell Marketing). I think the PIC was Jimmy Gross, great guy but a bit of a show off. He claimed he got to Jeddah by flying up the Red Sea for some exact period ( about two hours I think) then turning due East and looking out for the airport's radio mast. The FO and I played his game of looking for the mast as he gently side slipped one side to the other ("mustn't frighten the pax") until one of us spotted it.
Aden Airways was famous for its attractive stewardesses on the 700s, notorious for the number of times they were to be found in the right hand seat, especially Chrissie Chambers who was definitely not tall and couldn't reach the pedals easily so resulted in some decidedly disturbing yawing of the aircraft.