PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making gliders visible to GA aircraft
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 10:29
LowNSlow

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking at the PilotAware websitehttp://www.pilotawarehardware.com/dl/Introduction.pdf there is this statement:

Do I need to connect PilotAware classic to a transponder for it to work?
You do not need to connect your PilotAware classic to a transponder for it to work. However, we have provided an RS232 interface for technically aware users to connect it to third party equipment if they want to. Caveat emptor.
This is usually done so that the GPS available in PilotAWare can be used as a positional source to convert a Mode S transponder with ES (Extended Squitter) to one capable of outputting ADSB signals. If this sounds like too much technical jargon don’t worry you don’t need it now but it may be useful later if the take up of ADSB becomes anything more than an expensive dream or expensive mandate. However if you have a Trig or Funke transponder or other suitable transponder then this is a real advantage that PilotAware gives you.
I'm getting a PilotAware to connect to my shiny new Trig transponder via the RS232 port that my forward thinking avionics guru (thank you Harald) installed when he put the Trig in. It will also via the wonders of WiFi have the advantage of turning my ancient WiFi only iPad mini into my nav and traffic radar screen!

I never even dreamed that stuff like this would be possible 5 years ago let alone when I started multiple decades ago!