PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need some serious help!
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 10:02
Flightcpt.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toajith
Flight Capt, appreciate your aspiration to be a pilot, but I get the feeling that you are in for trouble and could endup in a completely wrong place. I would remind you to consider a few points below.
  1. First of all, all of the major airlines have include additional qualifications in their recruitment criteria, Eg: Air Canada prefers pilots to have minimum of a graduation and an aviation related degree. Look in to their careers page. I am not saying that you wont quality with an ATPL and enough hours on your logbook, but preference is given to candidates with higher qualifications. As someone pointed above, there are lots of people who would rank above you.
  2. Most of the candidates who go to Canada, initially think that its all very easy and end up doing uber taxi jobs and restaurant cleaner jobs to find money to get their flight hours. A 2 year program ends up taking 5 or more years. You will be forced to go and find alternatives to survive (get PR etc) in Canada.
  3. I am sure people will do all of that, and still fail because at an interview, others will stamp over you because of their higher qualifications.
  4. One last thing about Canada is that the weather is so unpredictable; so even if you had all the money to do your hours, you may end up with lots of cancellations due to the weather.
I think a more pragmatic option for you would be to first qualify your +2 and try a graduate program in Canada (Any would do). The you could get your CPL and other ratings etc sorted while you are over there as a self paced program.
In reality, majority of the Aviation Certification programs are a waste of money (in the pretext that you get a certificate, which ofcourse is of not much value above your hours of flying experience)
I have decided after all your input and guidance being the same, to join the Virtual High School in Canada and do a fast track online high school diploma program for adults (takes about 3-4 months) to acquire my high school diploma. I also spoke to Harvs air about this and they say that they create a schedule according to the student, so they say that I can do the high school diploma program (from September-March, cause they usually are no fly months) and flight training. Is this a good idea?