PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of climb/rate of climb
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 09:45
GlenQuagmire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pick an average single. Do the sums climbing still air to 1000 feet at Vx and then at Vy. I bet you find that you reach 1000 feet within 10 or 20 seconds of each other and I bet the difference over the ground is a few hundred feet. For both of those climbs you have been hammering your engine with the highest possible power demand with poor cooling due to the low airflow which significantly increases your chance of an engine failure. You are operating the prop in a speed range where it is less efficient and the engine won’t make full power anyway because the RPM will be lower. So you are a dillon if you do either of them. I totally disagree with Mr Average above - it doesnt need demonstrating and is of no use at all when you go flying. Its interesting and its a good idea to understand it so go and watch a video and spend your money in the aeroplane learning useful stuff. Learn some simple aerobatics, become really confident at crosswind landings, get really proficient at flying on the AH maybe, there are loads of things you can do in the plane that make your flight safer. I have an image of Alex W with his head in his hands saying, “Other way round, numbnuts”