PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Valiant Tankers
Thread: Valiant Tankers
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 09:17
racingrigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stand corrected, thanks Pontifex, it was obviously 8 Valiants modified for Grapple not the 4 I stated. An interesting aside; during the scrapping process and coincident to the craze at the time of fitting compasses to cars, the two E2B Standby Compasses fitted to one particular aircraft "disappeared" during the dismantling process! These compasses were not "special to type" and were to be returned through the normal channels for use on other aircraft. Just before lunch on the day they had disappeared the flight commander assembled all the dis-mantling team, read them the "riot act" and advised that if the two missing compasses had not been returned by the time lunch was over, the RAF Police would be called in.

After lunch I accompanied the Flight Commander into the cockpit of the aircraft concerned to find both compasses refitted in their rightful places with a third lying on its side in the middle of the coaming! Somebody obviously took fright, but it was never established where the third one came from!