PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Guide at an Aviation Museum
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 09:07
DeepestSouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's Great!

On a rota I volunteer/man the shop at the Manx Aviation and Military Museum (we are all unpaid volunteers - no paid staff or management - and entry is free) and I get as much as I give, usually a lot more, from our visitors .... and we regularly receive very appreciative comments and reviews. What I've learned about volunteering/guiding from here and elsewhere?:

1. Some visitors don't want to be guided/talked to or, even worse, at! Give them the option - tour, pointer to the highlights, or just browse and 'we are here if you have any questions'.

2. Be patient and listen. A very few may bore the pants off you and tell you the most wacky stories but it's surprising what you can learn and how visitors can turn into real assets for the Museum, donate exhibits, provide information. I know a lot about a little - I think - but am constantly surprised about how little I really know.

3. Do the housekeeping , keep the place clean and tidy, restock the shop .. things like that.

4. Be genuinely welcoming. I've visited some heritage sites where the staff couldn't be bothered to smile, make eye contact or do anything other than stick out their hands for the entrance fee!

Most of all - enjoy it!

DS