PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making gliders visible to GA aircraft
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 08:37
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ivorphillips

I have to say that my first comments had been based on the post above that suggested that al the gilders should convert to pilotaware, clearly the guy posting had not purchased the FLARM bolt on to his unit.

Pilot aware does look like a capable system and for those renting Aircraft is probably the best way to go however it will have limitations in metal or carbon Aircraft due to antenna considerations especially for mode C applications.

I don’t see the ADS-B in that you claim and I can’t see how it would interface with the mode S transponder in the average rented Aircraft.

My biggest criticism of the system is the power supply and all the wires that would float around the already cramped cockpit.

My main reason for going down the powerflarm route is not to have all the paraphernalia floating around the cockpit with the trafic display on the G500 map screen and the audio warnings via the Aircraft audio system coupled with the high reliability of a hard wired system and antennas fitted to the aircraft in places that avoid blanking by the airframe.

All these systems are a good back up for a good lookout but it must be remembered that the less you pay in terms of bolt on enhancements and ad-hoc installation the less well the system full function. In short you may well pay 10% of the cost of an installed system but in some aircraft from some directions you will get 0% performance, fortunately from the head on major threat angle the system performance is likely to be quite good.