PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Valiant Tankers
Thread: Valiant Tankers
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 08:36
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver
That was definitely 90 Sqn.

XD814 was the first to go. We aircrew had no warning that the fleet was going to be broken up; they were still talking about resparring etc.. We were sitting in the crew room and 214 was towed past, flaps and engine panels hanging down looking a sorry mess.

Despite that we kept flying.

I delivered XD 863 to Filton on 20th Oct: XD 820 to St. Athan on 9th November. A Lone Ranger to Khormaksa with XD813 on 22nd November.

Honington's runway was closed for resurfacing in December so our remaining serviceable aircraft were repositioned at Marham and I took XD 820 up there on 3rd December.

On the 8th December I was a on a night Frex with Lightnings from 92 at Leconfield. On one engagement the basket detached from the hose and locked itself over the Lightning's probe. He then bolted off back to Leconfield where apparently he had considerable difficulty landing with the asymmetric drag.

We did the normal bomb bay ventilation procedures and returned to Marham. As we crossed the threshold I saw a Valiant at the holding point with a Standard Vanguard Estate drawn across the front of it. This was to prevent it taking off as the Valiants had been grounded. Shortly after a bomber landed and that was it.............
Are you sure of the date, 8th December. My log book shows my last landing on 9th December, 865,
F/l Gibbons, capt., me in RHS. Was that the last Valiant sortie, I vaguely remember being recalled?