PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 pitch rate - Autopilot ON
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 05:44
jimmyg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this will answer the question to design sensitivity although focusing particularly on the A320 family, the questions are... the ELACs and SECs merely actuator controllers for the control surfaces? or do they also carry the autopilot flight control algorithms? Or is the "autopilot" a separate entity, which feeds desired control surface positions to the ELACs and SECs or are these latter simply "slaves" to the autopilot?

Then if the autopilot is indeed a separate "master" entity which feeds desired control surface position signals to the ELACs and SECs, then where does the autopilot get its inputs from?

Short answer I believe, the autopilot is a feature of the Flight Management And Guidance System (FMGS), and in particular each of the two Flight Management And Guidance computers (FMGC) manage its autopilot sensitivity, more to the case of yaw and roll order. As to pitch order I would be curious if it is the same.

I do find it frustrating in an open descent or climb to have the A/C slow pitch oscillations to speed.

Last edited by jimmyg; 1st Mar 2018 at 01:50.