PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pay Awards 2017/18
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2018, 01:41
cumulustratus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TangoAlphad
I think the point is there are many professions that have seen no pay rise in years so the fact ours generally does increase above inflation isn't so bad. Not comparing jobs with salaries but there are many out there who work as hard or harder for less pay and no rises for several consecutive years now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we shouldn't be paid.. yes I earn more than I think any of my non flying friends but I am away from home a lot. I miss birthdays and holidays and family/friend get togethers often. I need to live close to my base etc and these things deserve a financial compensation but I think we forget that we aren't the only professionals out there and we aren't hard done by.
What a brilliant example of how Mrs Thatcher and her followers have managed to brainwash an entire population into thinking that a worker demanding a pay rise is somehow stealing money from another worker in a completely unrelated profession. Workers claiming better reward for their Labour needs to be measured against the profit of the business owners/shareholders. A fair balance
between return on capital for investors and reward/work for employees needs to be established. In modern civilization, where the wealth of the few is growing much faster than the average resources of the population in general, a capital investment shouldnt necessarily be guaranteed continuous used exponential growth.

If any of these concepts seem foreign to you, then please join your local union and let those who do grasp them speak for you. And for your own benefit, don't join a certain low cost carrier who feeds off of employees as yourself.
Originally Posted by TangoAlphad
I think the point is there are many professions that have seen no pay rise in years so the fact ours generally does increase above inflation isn't so bad. Not comparing jobs with salaries but there are many out there who work as hard or harder for less pay and no rises for several consecutive years now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we shouldn't be paid.. yes I earn more than I think any of my non flying friends but I am away from home a lot. I miss birthdays and holidays and family/friend get togethers often. I need to live close to my base etc and these things deserve a financial compensation but I think we forget that we aren't the only professionals out there and we aren't hard done by.
What a brilliant example of how Mrs Thatcher and her followers have managed to brainwash an entire population into thinking that a worker demanding a pay rise is somehow stealing money from another worker in a completely unrelated profession. Workers claiming better reward for their labour needs to be measured against the profit of the business owners/shareholders. A fair balance between return on capital for investors and reward/work for employees needs to be established. In modern civilization, where the wealth of the few is growing much faster than the average resources of the population in general, a capital investment shouldn't necessarily be guaranteed continuous exponential growth.

If any of these concepts seem foreign to you, then please join your local union and let those who do grasp them speak for you. And for your own benefit, don't join a certain low cost carrier who feeds off of employees as yourself.