PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pay Awards 2017/18
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2018, 23:20
THRILLSEEKER

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricia Takanawa
BA treading water (RPI pay rise). 1.4% of basic salary bonus. And apparently massively under crewed. Not sure these figures are going to help too much. Yr 5 A320 capt now £86k.

A senior SFO friend in BA said that they were extremely close to having to recruit DEC 2 years ago as practically all senior enough FO's didn't want SH command and were just switching to LH FO/SFO instead. The seniority number ran very low and it was only the fact they had recruited recently some experienced FO's from EZ/RYR/MON etc that they had enough very junior (in time) to BA to fill the positions. I believe one guy was even in BA less than a year before he made the juno to LH seat, admittingly he joined with over 4000Hrs but still a unbelievably short time to command in BA.

Back then I enquired about the pay levels to see if it could tempt me away from the Orange juggernaught to switch to a LGW/LHR SH CPT position if recruitment did come about.

On the pay scales back then (only 2 years ago) it would have taken me 18 YEARS to draw level to the annual BASIC that I was on (EJ Capt plus 10% annual bonus) due to having to start at Y1 captain scale in BA.. 18 YEARS! And thats without our last inflation busting circa 6% pay rise.

If Nigel does in fact have a critical shortage over Y18/19, especially in the LH seat then they are screwed to attract sufficient, if any at all, experienced and type rated captains to fill their SH fleet.

Interesting times ahead over the next 2-3 years I feel.

Not that I'd now switch - but still would ask questions IF the package were better :roll eyes:

Ps - EJ Y1 (to year I cant physically flying amore) basic now 105K without any loyalty bonus of upto 15% p/yr dependant upon length of service.