PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2018, 20:38
followthegreens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEP onto the 380 from EZY just under two years ago.

Like many posters said, it's not perfect. There is the obvious concern that things will carry on getting worse as Mr Cruz keeps on cutting costs. But I definitely don't regret it.

Bad things:
- poor IT and incredibly confusing internal processes e.g. Where do the bid results get published? In a place called "Forums". Makes sense.
- fairly unharmonious relationship between cabin crew and flight deck (EZY was great for that)
- difficult life planning unless you are senior
- nobody answers their phones. No point leaving messages either. It's chronic. And that's when you have figured out who you are supposed to be calling in the first place.

Good things:
- most skippers seem to recognise I'm an experienced pilot and don't look at me as a "2-striper"
- overall very friendly flight deck (usual small percentage of undesirables)
- decent hotels, mostly in city centers
- easy to swap trips, which makes being junior easier than you'd think
- overall, Ops people who treat you as an adult (one of the worse aspects of EZY). When they answer the phone.
- many opportunities to take part in non-flying projects (flight safety, technical, training, corporate relations, etc)

Would I feel the same on SH? Probably not.

I feel much less tired than at EZY. Yes the night flights are tough, but the cumulative fatigue at EZY was much worse. My wife has noticed a big difference in my mood during days off or holidays. But then I sleep well in the bunk, which some people find nigh impossible.

As a family, we've very much enjoyed going on holiday in Club seats in LA, Cape Town and Miami. Also great fun taking the wife on a trip with me and can't wait for my kid to be old enough to do the same.

The vast majority of FOs I know who switched to BA SH say they would never go back. And I don't believe any of the recent 380 DE FOs are having second thoughts.

I think it's very much become a SH vs LH question. There's not a lot between EZY and BA for SH. Just more money sooner at EZY, but that probably evens out over a career. I don't think it would make sense for an EZY skipper to move to BA if he/she has not intention of going LH. Part-time is the only option after 10+ years of SH at either outfit. It's just too knackering.

My two cents!