PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 27th Feb 2018, 19:18
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Cross beam

As I have no 'informed' knowledge of where the ejection seat cross beam is and why it should crack perhaps someone can educate me.
This whole sorry episode is so full of 'bean counter' servicing cost savings affecting what is a very technical piece of safety equipment, that the 'man in the street' would be astounded that the company (MOD RAF) have allowed the capability of such equipment to be affected by a person working on such equipment not to realise the purpose of a 'shackle' or how this 'simple' device should be assembled. This situation only confirms that the 'standards' required for working on such equipment are not fit for purpose or that the (MOD/RAF) see that this is a problem. As an ATC Staff Cadet on a Gliding School I used shackles all the time and have done so for many decades since. In certain cases it is quite possible to 'pinch' the open end and usually a spacer bar or precision bolt is used in cases where this would cause an 'ongoing' problem. A shackle is normally used where 'movement' of the connection is required, and I knew that as a Cadet. It is quite obvious that something that is 'dismantled' many more times than originally planned becomes a 'consumable' and therefore in a very special case such as an ejection seat the cost of a new connection seems paltry. That the RAF have allowed standards to be reduced to such a level is a national disgrace and its VSO's have done the service no favours by allowing this for many years. I would not have dreamt this could be the case years ago, but have just seen my old Air Cadet Gliding organisation destroyed by such a lamentable state of affairs. MB have dedicated their business to saving lives and produce a first rate product that is so much more than a 'bang seat'; however their customers must realise that this special piece of complex safety equipment needs proper care and servicing from suitably trained staff and anything less is negligent. The RAF have been negligent and no amount of carpet shuffling or letting MB take a hit can hide that.

Last edited by POBJOY; 27th Feb 2018 at 22:32.