PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerodynamics in a side slip
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2018, 11:50
PelicanSquawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerodynamics in a side slip

Hi All,

I am asking this question for interest of understanding what is happening in this manoeuvre. In a sideslip approach, with no wind, how does the fuselage blocking the trailing wing effect the lift that this wing can generate at its angle of attack? Assuming the wings are level and therefore the AoA also, does this not affect the wing behind the fuselage because a large component of the relative air flow is coming from the "glide angle" towards the aircraft, and there fore the side on fuselage is disrupting a relatively small amount of the airflow? Or is it that the trailing wing's lack of airflow is compensated by the fact that the right aileron is down, and therefore the wings angle of attack is slightly higher and it is generating more lift? For sake of simplicity can we ignore the lift generated by the fuselage.

In simple terms, how does having less of the trailing wing facing the relative airflow effect its lift capabilities, and why does this not translate to a lower stall speed (I understand stalling is related to AoA, but in this case one wing is generating less lift for the same AoA due to it not being able to make use of its whole surface area?)

Appreciate any comments, or help with understanding what is happening. I apologise in advance if my question is not that clear.

PS