PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making gliders visible to GA aircraft
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2018, 07:17
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by airwave45
I used to routinely fly with the transponder firmly in the "off" position, saved the batteries.
Only reason it was fitted was to allow crossing of a recently imposed TMZ, for which it was switched on, then switched off once across.

Now, i'f I'm flying my glider along with the mode S on (as I now have to, when I remember to take it off grnd) and you are flying your spamcan along, monitoring (what do you actually do in those things en-route to your next cup of coffee/ bacon roll?)
What do you have to tell you where I am ?

Up here in the frozen North, there are large areas where spamcans fly not covered by radar (pesky hills getting in the way)
And when I'm operating at sensible alts, there are NO spamcans.

Why do you not have Flarm fitted ?
There are other aircraft flying in Class G, not just "Spamcans".

Most modern helicopters (at least, the IFR equipped ones, the ones a glider pilot is likely to come closest to) have TCAS, which is an approved fit and is designed to interrogate and detect transponders. Unfortunately, FLARM isn't part of the mandatory equipment for IFR aircraft.

TCAS can detect and display a transponder equipped aircraft from a range of around twelve miles, including its relative altitude. This allows the pilot to change his routing well in advance, to avoid the chance of conflicting flight paths.

Also, unlike many glider pilots, I for one am likely to be taking advantage of the LARS system, under a traffic service from ATC. As a glider pilot you will be aware that your aircraft doesn't show up well on radar. Proper use of a transponder makes sure that it does.