PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perf Group A history
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2018, 03:15
Shrikered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And the US version of takeoff regulations?

Originally Posted by kenparry
I have been trying to establish, out of idle curiosity, the history of the development of aircraft Performance Groups, particularly Perf “A”, with its rigorous treatment of engine-out operation. Web searches have produced little info.

I have seen a claim that Perf A originated with FAR25, which was first published in 1965, and that the first type certificated to FAR25 was the B737. Is that correct
I have read this thread with great interest and am chasing the references. I am trying to figure out how the V1, V2, MTOW and related calculations changed over time, and I'm mainly studying US practices including FAR 25. For example:
  • When was V1 first conceived? VR, V2?
  • When and where were they first made official?
  • What was done before then, for large prop aircraft?
  • Multiple accidents have shown that runway friction was not being measured consistently. According to AeroSafetyWorld, Nov. 2012, the FAA is investigating better ways to evaluate it. What other changes have been made over theyears in the details of calculations used for takeoffs and landings?
  • Do all airlines and pilots make the calculations consistently (presumably because of legal requirements)? Or, do some have what they consider improved methods?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, and please PM or respond here if you might have additional information.