PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish government declares ATPL as equivalent to a University degree
Old 26th Feb 2018, 11:46
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Happy to. I've been looking at what it is that would make a profession into a Profession, and it comes down to a number of things which professional pilots do have, but two things which they don't. The two things are:

1. An Institute of some sort which defines and administers Professional status. It would take a week or two to set this up, and needn't be expensive. There are lots of examples to use as models, be they the Engineering Institutes (IET, IMechE, RAeS et al), the Chartered accountant instute (ACMA etc), the solicitor's instute (the Law Society), the Barristers institute (the Bar*), the barristas institute (Costa) (), the medical institutes (RCS, RCN et al) etc etc. In fact now I think about it the RAeS is already an accredited institute for Professional Engineers, so you might be able to persuade it to take on a similar role for Professional Pilots.

2. A self-regulatory function in its institute so that the Institute becomes responsible for assurance of maintaining and policing Professional Standards. I don't think this currently exists - this assurance is done externally rather than by self regulation. But you could fix that easily enough.

So if those two aspects were addressed you could establish yourselves as a Profession and have the legally protected exclusive right to "post nominals" (lettuce after your name) as I have the right to add "C.Eng" and anyone who does it without hav9ing the charter would be committing an offence.

As to what those post nominals would be, well that's entirely up to you and your Institute. You could have "CP" (chartered pilot), but if it was up to me I'd choose "Professional Pilot Regulated Under New Exposition", so that Joe Blogs could, on achieving Professional status, sign himself as:

Joe Blogs PPRUNE**

Last edited by PDR1; 26th Feb 2018 at 13:33.