PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sir Peter Squire
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2018, 20:46
Dick Allen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many tales to tell.

One of my favourite occasions, three dits from the same visit: he was CAS when I was running Shawbury, and he had flown up for a Dinner.

On arrival, before changing, we were sitting having coffee when our most disrespectful cat - Bobby - took a liking to Sir Peter and leapt upon his lap and started nuzzling him. Not only most disrespectful, but most prone to moulting..... Cat eventually departs, CAS stands stands up, wooly pully now decorated with vast amounts of grey fur. Nice

Fast forward an hour or so, we're both in No 5s waiting for transport. One of junior daughter's chums (a striking 20-something redhead) was visiting - unexpectedly - and breezes in to the room. "Hi Dick" she says - Sir Peter leaps to his feet to introduce himself, shakes hand "Peter Squire" "Oh Hi Peter" says redhead, then completely ignores him and carries on talking to me. Probably not career-enhancing pour moi..........

And finally. The following morning he was due to fly out and it was Harry Clampers in fog. Never seen a delayed VSO so calm. Much panic organising car and driver to take him back to London, he calmly says "Time for another cuppa then" or words to that effect. Not like many other VSOs one could mention.....

Much missed - a superb aviator and a good fellow too.

RIP