PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perf Group A history
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2018, 07:56
kenparry

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bergerie1:

By the way I did my Performance A exam in 1962.
Thanks for that; it takes Perf "A" back to before FAR25. Can you remember the sample aircraft type on which the paper was then based? Mine was somewhat later, 1978, and used the L1011.

Centaurus:

The UK's V-force used similar marker boards and go/stop speeds. I'm not aware of how the speed was calculated or how many variables were considered.

My military flying was all single-engine, so my initiation to the complications of multi-engine performance came only when I moved into the airline world. For the Hunter, in the late 60s, we had limited runway performance data, but it did include the ability to work out a ground roll distance. The engine failure case was simple, of course, in principle: stop or Martin Baker exit. However, there was no way of deriving a stop speed. The only info was a quoted "emergency braking speed", which IIRC was 100kt. Some problems with that: our only speed indication was IAS, and the single quoted speed took no account of what we then called take-off weight. I suppose the Perf A nearest equivalent is Brake Energy Limit, but that does account for at least some of the related variables.

Last edited by kenparry; 25th Feb 2018 at 08:21.