PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Employment in the Gig Economy
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2018, 04:24
heliduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nigelh
If you read what they say ....
Packer assured me that Helispeed will pay the guaranteed period even if the end client cancels the contract or terminates early.

You then need to decide if the contract is long enough and the pay good enough to invest in the rating !
I still can’t see any reason why a company should pay for you to get qualified to do the job you are applying for . If I wanted to employ a chauffeur I wouldn’t pay for him to get his driving licence !!
I understand what you’re saying & you make a good point, but I don’t think the different industries are a fair comparison. If the cost for a driving licence was equivalent to 1years gross earnings I don’t think they would be expected to pay for it, or if they were their wouldn’t be any chauffeurs. Hence the crux of the problem, this is only creeping into the industry as there are pilots willing to do it. It’s not the large corporations fault for trying to improve their bottom line, if no pilots paid for the rating there wouldn’t be enough pilots then the companies would pay for the rating or ground the machine. I’m not saying it is ethical, moral or good business practice but they only do it because there’s a market for it. After all, most helicopter pilots are like crack addicts, we’ll do whatever it takes to fly & they’ve woken up to that.