PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need some serious help!
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2018, 22:15
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, if you go to VFC you're going to go into a University program without having finished Grade 12? That's not going to set you up for success at all. Year one university is often a hard repeat of Grade 12, so if you're going in with Grade 11, you're going in without a lot of needed information.

Finish your Grade 12 in a normal school and don't rush. The aviation industry is cyclical around the world and if you're starting now, you're likely rushing to the next downturn. So take your time and actually learn something. Those of us who have been through two downturns (or more) are realizing the next one is just around the corner, despite all the excitement around the hiring blitz. This is all just history repeating and there are a lot of people who are in for a real wakeup call at just how cruel life can be.

You're not in a pickle. You're still in your teens. You're going to look back on this time and realize you rushed through one of the best parts of life. If you stick it out in aviation, you're going to have a good forty years doing the same thing over and over again. I find a lot of the First Officers I fly with who joined the airlines straight out of flight school or after a quick stint with a smaller operator really don't like what they're doing after about two years. Some stick it out, others have left for their old jobs, and some others still have moved to another industry.

Once the dream is realized, it's no longer a dream - it's your job. And jobs suck. They suck bad. It's hard to keep the dream alive after three nights of minimum rest in just another hotel, waking up at 03:30 for a 04:15 shuttle to go fly a 12-hour day and you pull the blinds and realize it just dumped four feet of snow outside and there is a message from your spouse saying the kid caught a cold.

Keep it a dream for as long as you can and you'll be much happier when you finally realize your dream has become your job and you're dealing with the baggage that comes with working for a living.

Oh, and also - what 77AV8R said is spot on.