PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish government declares ATPL as equivalent to a University degree
Old 24th Feb 2018, 11:17
Gordomac

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
We could wind it up with a bit of humour before the handbags really start coming out.PDR ; I thought "hubris" was something I put on my salad in sunny Cyprus. Oh, and with your degree, you should know how to spell."Falacious". It has two "l's".

In the late sixties, BOAC/BEA had a love affair with University Graduates. Normal (if that really is the word) candidates for the College of Air Training were required to offer the General Certificate of Education showing at least five passes at Ordinary level including Maths, Physics & English Language. Two further passes were required at Advanced level. Broadly, university entrance requirement. Subjects like Art, Needlework, Domestic Science (cooking), PE, Netball etc were all excluded.

The love affair started if you could offer a degree. Even in the advert, BA (as the joint corporation is known today) suggested that special acknowledgement would be offered as all degree entrants would, of course, go "up" to Oxford rather than smelly Hamble. Of course, they would do a shorter course (13 months rather than 18) and these potential Nasa Space Cadets would gain a "Frozen ATPL" at the end of the shorter course.

A degree, even in zoo-ology, would be embraced by the Hamble Selection Board.

I was "up" at Oxford on a sponsored CPL/IR course and made chums with some of the "BG graduate" Course members. Most appeared inarticulate and unwilling to inter-act with members of other courses. Some, who bothered, made it quite clear that they intended to stay with BA for a short term and then pursue Post Graduate work with NASA on the Space Mission Programme, etc. One very likeable bod went on to own & run his own GA company making a fortune within the time-frame of my "graduating" and going from Viscount First Officer to Trident First Officer. Drat !

I became most unpopular with this group for suggesting that they were, therefore, taking up places more suited to the "A" level brigade, focusing on career motivation with the sponsoring airline.

PDR will , no doubt, suggest more "hubris", perhaps ,even ,psychotic tendency towards a more envied group . Touch of the green-eye coming through in your posts dear chap but it has been a humorous, light hearted exchange for my Saturday morning read. Thanks.

Oh, like someone else, once it is all sorted, I look forward to coming back "up" to Oxford to pick up my degree acknowledgement of the fierce ATPL's of the seventies.