PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Durham Tees Valley-7
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2018, 10:04
onion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Demand is there, the problem lies with how do you service that demand.
I ll take 3 routes.
Teesside - Dublin.
In the early days this service was operated by a 737-200 and was attracting enough for Ryan to go upto 10 flights a week if I remember correctly. Once though the 800 came on the route there wasn't the demand for as many flights as pax loads on the flight were in the 100 to 120 per flight not enough for a 800!
MME-LHR. It wasn't that long ago that 20000 a month used the service. Then BMI started to chop and change the route, timings, frequency and aircraft. They manufactured a situation to get to a point where they could cut the route.
MME -BRU, Eastern flew this route but it wasn't really any good for the business traveller, again timings were wrong.

What I am trying to say is actually demand is there it is a case of matching operators/aircraft/frequency/timings to routes.
Now the airport has to take some responsibility in this. As if a airline serves a route and gets it wrong them bad publicity follows.

Peel have also made a rod for their own back here or as I see it they are manufacturing a situation to get the land.

What business would get into bed with MME/Peel knowing that they may close the place after 5 years? Who comes out and says that if you a service provider?
Why would you set up routes knowing Peels track record with TUI and Balkans?
Now look at the possibility of the FRA contract being lost too as the RAF/RN are in the process of changing their training contracts and all of a sudden 5 years could be all that is left!