PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High altitude stall recovery B737
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2018, 09:10
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO full TOGA for a all engine GA is asking for trouble. I wonder what the teaching is at various operators. There are some who advocate the use of similar thrust, 85-90%-ish, that auto single TOGA gives. In manual flight, if not trained, or if SOP stipulates, PF firewalls thrust and all hell breaks lose. Controllable into nearly uncontrollable PDQ. It happened at Narita in an Airbus, but that included a mode & trim issue as well, if I remember. See my video of the Tarom airbus at Paris. In the documentary, I'll add that link, it said that the a/c responded as designed. I'm not sure if this was an inadvertent selection of GA with odd thrust & trim settings; I'm not an AB man. But it is scary of that & the Narita incidents had some startling but correct a/c reactions.
BOH was pure pilot induced.

And we still wait the report of the Russian? B737 stall crash on GA in Poland? It was their 2nd approach and they made a GA from above MDA and seemed to have pilot induced trim issues combined with thrust couple etc.

My previous #76 showed a digital reconstruction, but this clip was part of a more complete documentary into a/c confusing pilots; as you hear in the narrative. I do not know the build up to the incident, but damned glad these pilots knew how to stop digging and climb out of the hole.

Last edited by RAT 5; 24th Feb 2018 at 18:11.