PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DRIVESHAFT FAILURE
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2018, 07:18
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John Eacott
I suspect that it hasn’t been pointed out to you because your interpretation is incorrect...
@megan 100% does know what he's talking about, he's just been misunderstood. If I may clarify his point. Within the S76 MGB, if the gear (that spins clockwise) between the main drive shaft gear (that spins anti-clockwise) and the gear (that spins anti-clockwise) that connects the #1 engine input gear to the TR drive shaft, should it fail, then the #1 engine will drive only the TR but not the main rotor. In that instance, should you misdiagnose the indications and shut down the #1 engine you will lose drive to the TR (the power from #2 engine only gets as far as the main drive shaft because of the failed gear). This has happened in an S76 before.

It's a scenario that gets discussed during recurrent training in the classroom, but I've never been asked to demonstrate it in the simulator. If the trainee is totally on-top of all the other malfunctions covered in the syllabus, and there is time available to look at other things, then sure, take a look at this one in the sim.