PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Employment in the Gig Economy
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 14:48
Um... lifting...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has to be a balance between pilots getting free type ratings and moving on within a very short time...
To Phil's point, which I apologize for truncating.

When I entered the civilian industry after a fair bit of time flying elsewhere I was taken aback by the fact that there was nothing stopping a pilot from taking a type rating from an employer and heading off elsewhere.

I was enlightened, in my vast ignorance, that such things as training bonds had been negotiated as being something that could not be done to the strongly unionized work forces, especially in Europe, though national companies in other parts of the world had no problem handcuffing pilots to their type rating with time and / or money.

Not being European, I didn't hold forth on why this gave me a strong sense of foreboding as I would have had a crew room full of pilots battering me about the head & shoulders and nobody needs that sort of thing when you just want a quiet Nescafe before the aircraft is turned around.

In my time in the industry I have never sensed any sort of give & take between "management" and "labor". The relationships are always adversarial. Given that, it's hardly surprising that management, feeling hard done by due to pilots scampering off with fresh type ratings would come up with something as draconian as not paying for training at all.

I worked for a big offshore company for a fair while and had a modicum of success at it. I've also worked a couple of gigs.

The greybeards (now retired) who were in the big offshore company would tell one, over a friendly glass in the evenings, to just watch... your conditions will erode, just as ours have.

And so it has come to pass.