PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish government declares ATPL as equivalent to a University degree
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 14:28
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps not but it likely far surpasses the required standard achieved by a number of graduates today. Regardless though, I have seen examples of expert handling and airmanship delivered by graduates holding fairly mediocre degrees and some extraordinarily poor flying from apparently very sharp cookies on paper - I was informed by an F/O following a landing event requiring intervention that he couldn't understand why he was struggling to judge the roundout and flare because "I've got a degree"!
Fortunately, a flying career in many parts of the world is still one where the only degree necessary is a modicum of common-sense and reasonable level of basic educational standard in order to reap the benefits, enjoyment and reward of a professional skill based occupation, in the company of generally decent, likeminded and entertaining colleagues while offering opportunities to see almost all of the earth and spend some time in interesting places over the span of your working life. Few careers requiring graduate level education can boast the same.