PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Viscount pilots, cabin crew and engineers.
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 13:49
happybiker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midland 331
Were the main spar(s) a fatigue weak spot on the Viscount? I seem to recall re-sparing was common.

(and did you own a Triumph 500 circa 1979? Fields' place was close to my dad's BMA MT workshop, and I recall a very tidy one passing daily)
Midland 331.

The wing spars on the Viscount were not a fatigue weak point but were designed under the "safe life" criteria which means they were subject to a service life limit in flight cycles before they had to be removed and replaced. Vickers had developed a cost effective technical solution to allow the spars to be replaced which was taken up by a number of operators.

I recall that another ageing aircraft issue on the Viscount was with the Pren wiring. The rubber insulation on the wires would age harden and when a loom was disturbed the insulation would crack resulting in some major rewiring.

I had left FAS in 1978 for pastures new so no it was not me riding the Triumph 500. I do now venture out on a Hinckley Triumph Thunderbird in the warmer weather!