PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Viscount pilots, cabin crew and engineers.
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 10:24
Flightwatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the pleasure of flying the Viscount for around 3k hours as a 21 to 25 year old co-pilot. As previously mentioned the cockpit (black hole of Calcutta) was an ergonomic nightmare! Initially we had 4 different marks of 700, most of which were the 700D from the US market. The only thing in the same place were the throttles and HP cocks. Then we hired an early 702 with the slitty DV windows and no Collins FD101 flight director and on one memorable occasion I was let loose on an ex Aer Lingus 707 after a briefing from the base Captain, flying 4 sectors with him and the zero reader I never did understand. Then a couple of years later we got half a dozen 806x’s from BEA. These were a massive step backwards. They had the same Dart 510 engines as the 700s but of course were heavier so the performance was worse. They had no heated windscreens relying on drip fed de-icer to keep the windscreens clear and one had to select the engine de-icers from fast to slow at an ioat of -10C the 700s had been delivered with Janitrol cabin heaters and Freon air conditioners which the CAA wouldn’t wear and they had to be deactivated. Likewise a couple of them had auxiliary slipper tanks which weren’t allowed. Of course the 800s had the Smiths flight system which having been ordered by BEA were subsequently put it in the Vanguard and the Comet 4B for commonality.

Someone asked about the range, the longest sector I remember doing completing was NCL - PSA which must have been close to 4 hours, for reasons previously mentioned this was on a 700. It was however a brilliant aircraft to fly and operate and I still remember it with affection.