PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish government declares ATPL as equivalent to a University degree
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 07:32
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
As I understand it the only thing the Spanish are formalising is that an unfrozen ATPL (to describe it loosely) will be accepted as higher education for the purpose of some unemployment and social security benefits - that's all.

The entry requirements of a part-time tutored MSc are usually just guidelines to indicate the sort of person who might be able to complete it - these courses are very lucrative for universities and they rarely turn anyone away except for those courses which are accredited for things like professional registration. My more recent masters was one of these part-time ones, and even though it was an engineering MSc run out of a maths faculty (and needed a significant grasp of both calculus and Laplace) they accepted standards who only had CSE maths. I found myself giving a crash course in some undergrad maths to one of them - from an O-level maths grade C to integrating trig functions and doing bode plots in about three months. But she was cute so it wasn't that arduous...

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to belittle these courses. An MSc is an achievement regardless of where the student started. All I'm saying is that acceptance onto the course isn't a reliable indication of equivalence of entry qualifications.