PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brexit pushing UK out of EASA
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 02:05
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quoting from the good old beeb, pre the PMs Chequers talking shop.

This is exactly why I find the aviation/brexit nexus very interesting...and soon to be informative...

....Think of aviation, for example. No-one in the industry, or really anyone in government you can find, thinks there is much wrong with being in the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). The upheaval of leaving probably isn't worth it - essentially, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

My bold.

Whilst clearly there are those on here that would disagree with the bolded bit, sadly for them, they are not just in the minority, they are positively wandering in the wilderness. UK-Government-Wise, for anybody who is anybody (including the most hard-line brexiteers) aviation, is a settled matter. Nothing is going to change.

There's only one problem with that...and it's rather a large one. The EU, which has thus far "negotiated" like the structural bureaucrats they are, (note, I write that as a matter of fact, not intended to be in any way judgemental) may decide the UK's position does not fit with their "book of rules".

And therein lies the interest (squared) in the aviation meets brexit issue. As well as being the most immediate and direct brexit-related concern of many aviation enthusiasts on here (especially those whose mortgages depend on it!!) It's a bell-weather issue for the whole shooting match is it not?

What happens to aviation will happen first and in the full bright glare of global media.

Exciting, is it not?